General Terms and Conditions for using English Portal
"English Portal" refers to the service provided subject to these General Terms and Conditions and/or English Portal International GbR.
By logging on to English Portal, users accept the following General Terms and Conditions (hereinafter the "GTC") for using English Portal.
These GTC shall govern the contract relationship between the User and English Portal.
The User enters into this agreement on the use of English Portal services with English Portal, Rudolf-Angermeier-Str. 6, 64625 Bensheim. Additional contact information can be found in the Imprint. The User can call up, print out and download these General Terms and Conditions at any time, even after the agreement has been closed.
1. Subject Matter
(1) The ENGLISH PORTAL offers registered users a paid online learning platform. Further English Portal offers the possibility to purchase audiobooks, but this service is available only in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. For this special service some different rules are taking place which you can find in this GTC.
(2) Details about the applicable fees for the membership are set forth in the English Portal shop. The fees listed are binding. Payments shall be due immediately upon invoicing. Payment can be made using the various debiting procedures available. For payment in advance: The member account will be activated as soon as English Portal receives the subscription fee.
If English Portal is unable to collect any fees from an account designated by the User due to lack of funds, the User shall bear all costs arising there from, including bank charges related to any debit entries or similar charges, insofar as the User is responsible for the event that triggers these costs. English Portal may deliver invoices to the User for the membership by email.
(3) The User acknowledges and agrees that it is technically impossible to achieve 100% availability of the English Portal web sites. English Portal shall nonetheless endeavour to keep English Portal web sites available without interruption. Events related to maintenance, security or capacity requirements, and/or events beyond English Portal's control (e.g. disruptions in public communication networks, power failures etc.), may result in brief malfunctions or temporary interruptions of the services provided on English Portal web sites.
2. Registration, and Representations and Warranties upon Registration
(1) Users must register prior to using any of the services on the English Portal.
(2) The User warrants and represents that all of the data provided by the User for registration is accurate and complete. The User shall report any changes in the registration data to English Portal without undue delay.
(3) The User will receive a password upon registration via email. The User is obliged to keep this password secret. English Portal shall not disclose the password to any third party and English Portal shall not ask for the User's password at any time.
(4) By completing the registration process, the User consents to enter the agreement to use the services of the English Portal Web sites. English Portal accepts this offer by activating the membership for the use of services on English Portal Web sites. The agreement takes effect with the aforementioned acceptance by English Portal.
(5) Each User is entitled to register with English Portal only once.
(6) It is technically impossible for English Portal to determine with certainty whether any user registered with English Portal is in fact the person he or she represents to be. Therefore, English Portal assumes no liability for the actual identity of a user. Each user is solely responsible for checking the actual identity of another user.
3. Right of cancellation for consumers
If a user is registered at English Portal for a purpose that is not related to either his or her commercial or freelance activity, the following provisions apply to him or her as a consumer under the law (#13 German Civil Code):
(1) Right of cancellation The User may cancel registration for the membership in writing (e.g. by letter, fax or email) within two weeks without stating a reason. The two-week period begins when membership is activated by English Portal, but not before the receipt of these instructions. For meeting the cancellation deadline in each of the aforementioned cases, the date of dispatch of the cancellation notice is decisive. In each of the aforementioned cases, the cancellation notice should be sent by post to English Portal International GbR, Rudolf-Angermeier-Str. 6, 64625 Bensheim. The User may deliver notice of termination using the contact form, or by sending a fax or letter to English Portal. The fax number and email address of English Portal can be found here: Imprint The User's right of termination under section 6 shall not be affected by the User's cancellation right under this section 3.
(2) Premature lapse of the right of cancellation
In accordance with #312d Par. 3 BGB (German Civil Code), the User's right of cancellation lapses before the end of the right of cancellation period cited in section 3.1, in the following cases.
If English Portal has begun performing the English Portal services for which the User is registered with the express consent of the User, or
If the User has initiated the English Portal services for which the User is registered (e.g. in which the User has accessed the English Portal services that English Portal has made available to the User in accordance with the type of Membership chosen by the User at registration).
(3) Consequences of cancellation
In the event of a valid cancellation, both parties shall be obliged to restore any benefits already received in accordance with legal provisions, and issue any gains (e.g. interest). If the User is unable or partially unable to restore the benefits, or only able to restore them in poor condition, to English Portal, then the User must reimburse English Portal for the corresponding value. The User must fulfil obligations for reimbursement within 30 days after dispatch of the cancellation notice.
(4) Ruckgabe und Widerruf bei Audiodateien/Horbuchern
Audiodateien, fur welche Sie einen Download bestellt haben, konnen Sie weder zuruckgeben, noch konnen Sie Ihre Vertragserklarung fur Ihre Bestellung widerrufen.
4. Obligations of the User
The User is prohibited from the following:
- Employing any mechanisms, software or scripts when using English Portal Web sites.
- Blocking, overwriting, modifying and copying of any contents of the English Portal Web sites, unless said actions are necessary for the proper use of the services on the English Portal Web sites. For example, the use of the "Robot/Crawler" search engine technology is not required for proper use of the services, and is therefore prohibited.
- Distributing or publicly disclosing the contents of any of the Web sites of English Portal
- Performing any actions which may impair the operability of English Portal's infrastructure, particularly actions which may overload said infrastructure.
5. Changes to the Services on English Portal
English Portal reserves the right to modify the services offered on the English Portal Web sites and/or to offer services different from those offered at the time of the User's registration at any time.
6. Termination of Membership, Reimbursement of Advance Payments
(1) Die Mitgliedschaft im English Portal endet automatisch mit Ablauf der gebuchten Mitgliedsdauer. Eine gesonderte Kundigung ist nicht erforderlich.
(2) The User may terminate without cause the Premium Membership to the end of the minimum runtime chosen by the User in the course of the registration process, or to the end of any renewal period after said minimum runtime expires, by giving notice of fourteen (14) business days. The user may deliver notice of termination using the contact form available on all English Portal Web sites, or by sending a fax or letter to English Portal. The termination notice shall include the registered name of the User and an email address of the User registered on the English Portal Web sites. If the User has terminated the Premium Membership, the User is entitled to retain a Free Membership until such termination takes effect. The provisions of this section 6.2 shall not affect the right of both parties to terminate the agreement for good cause.
(3) A good cause is defined as an event which makes it unacceptable for English Portal to continue the agreement to the end of the termination period, taking into account all circumstances of the individual case and weighing the interests of English Portal against the User's. A good cause includes any the following events:
- If the User fails to comply with any applicable legal provisions - If the User breaches a contractual obligation
(4) In the event of a good cause in accordance with section (3) and notwithstanding English Portal's right to terminate the contract in accordance with section (3), English Portal is entitled to: - Issue a warning, or - Block the User's access to the services on the English Portal Web sites.
(5) In the following cases, the User shall not be entitled to claim reimbursement of any advance payments: If English Portal has terminated the contract for good cause pursuant to section (3), If English Portal has blocked the User's access in accordance with section (4), or If the User has terminated the agreement. However, the User's right to claim reimbursement of any advance payments shall not be excluded in this case if the User has terminated the agreement for a good cause attributable to English Portal.
7. Nutzung von herunter geladenen Horbuchern bzw. Audiodateien
(1) Nach Ihrer Anmeldung sind Sie berechtigt Audiodateien aus unserem Portal gegen Bezahlung herunterzuladen und fur sich bzw. fur Ihren privaten Gebrauch zu nutzen.
(2) Beachten Sie, dass Sie lediglich ein Nutzungsrecht an den Audiodateien erwerben. Sie erwerben kein Eigentum an den Audiodateien. Aufgrund dieses Nutzungsrechtes durfen Sie die bestellten Audiodateien auf Ihren Computer oder Ihren MP3-Player herunterladen und fur sich nutzen. Sie durfen die Audiodateien auch auf CD brennen (oder auf jedes beliebige Speichermedium speichern) Ihr Nutzungsrecht beschrankt sich jedoch auf Ihren eigenen privaten Gebrauch, jede Weitergabe an Dritte ist ausgeschlossen.
Jede Verwertung und Weitergabe unserer Audiodateien an Dritte, die uber oben beschriebene Nutzung hinausgeht ist unzulassig und bedarf ausnahmslos unserer vorherigen schriftlichen Zustimmung. Unzulassig ist es insbesondere, Audiodateien im Internet weiterzugeben, weiterzuverkaufen, zu verandern, entgeltlich oder unentgeltlich zur Verfugung zu stellen oder zu tauschen. Die gewerbliche Nutzung ist grundsatzlich untersagt.
Bei jeder unzulassigen Nutzung unserer Audiodateien, der wir nicht vorab ausdrucklich schriftlich zugestimmt haben, behalten wir uns straf- und zivilrechtliche Schritte vor. Gleiches gilt fur Versuche, den Kopierschutz zu entfernen oder zu umgehen.
(3) Die Bestimmungen dieses Paragraphen gelten auch fur Horbucher die wir zum kostenlosen Download anbieten (kostenlose Horbucher), insbesondere erwerben Sie an diesen Horbuchern ausschlie?lich ein beschranktes personliches Nutzungsrecht i.S.d. Absatz 2 dieses Paragraphen und kein Eigentum. Das Gleiche gilt fur alle sonstigen urheberrechtlichen und sonstigen Schutzbestimmungen.
(4) Das English Portal ist berechtigt, Unterauftragnehmer ganz oder teilweise mit der Erfullung der geschuldeten Leistungen zu beauftragen.
8. Customer Service/Support
Queries regarding agreement with English Portal or regarding English Portal services can be sent by the customer to English Portal using the contact form, or by sending a fax or letter.
9. Liability of English Portal
Die English Portal International GbR haftet fur vorsatzlich oder grob fahrlassig von ihr verursachte Schaden, beim Fehlen zugesicherter Eigenschaften, nach ## 1,4 Produkthaftungsgesetz und im Falle der leichten Fahrlassigkeit hochstens bis zum typischerweise vorhersehbaren Schaden, soweit dessen Hohe den Kaufpreis nicht uberschreitet.
10. Data Protection
English Portal recognizes that any data provided by the User to English Portal is extremely important to the User, and English Portal shall therefore be particularly sensitive in handling such data. English Portal shall comply with all applicable legal provisions regarding data protection. In particular, English Portal shall not provide or otherwise disclose any personal data of the User to any third party without authorization. Details on English Portal's treatment of the User's data are set forth in the Data Protection Policy of English Portal accessible from each of the English Portal Web sites.
11. Final Provisions
(1) These GTC and any amendments thereto must be in writing to be valid. No secondary agreements exist.
(2) English Portal reserves the right to amend these GTC at any time.
(3) Unless otherwise stated in these GTC, the User may submit all notices to English Portal using the contact form, or by letter or fax. English Portal may send notices to the User by email, fax or post to the addresses given in the User's current contact data in his or her user account.
(4) If any provision of these GTC is, for any reason, invalid and/or unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall continue to be valid and enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law. The parties agree to replace an invalid and/or unenforceable provision with a valid and/or enforceable provision which most closely approximates the intent and economic effect of the invalid and/or unenforceable provision. This also applies to contractual loopholes.
(5) The place of performance under these GTC shall be English Portal's main place of business.
(6) Place of jurisdiction, insofar as legally admissible, shall be the main place of business of English Portal.
(7) These GTC and the contractual relationship shall be governed by German Law, excluding international private law and the provisions of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods that have been adopted by German Law.